05 August, 2016

New Rustines Shifter Covers and Slap Guards

by Igor

These are nifty little shifter covers from Rustines that add a nice bit of grip and flare to your downtubebar-end shifters, and quick releases.

Do you need them? Yes. They'll make you go faster, you'll be more attractive, and flowers will blossom as you ride by. They're compatible with any classic downtube or bar end shifter, with the exception of those big, paddle Huret shifters.

These Constructeur Chain Slap Guards are for bikes with brazed-on prongs. Unstretched, they are 222mm from center-to-center. If you're getting a custom frame made, give the builder the slap guard beforehand so they know where to place it.

I'm thinking we should bring back the slap guard mounts for the Polyvalent, what do you think?

Lastly, check out this lovely mini, die-cast, 1965 Jacques Anquetil. He's one of a series of "Road Giants". Maybe a good Christmas stocking stuffer?

9 comments:

Barry said...

Would it be possible to give a rough estimate of when the new polyvalent will be available? I think classic French Rando features with updated standards like disc brakes and threadless headset would be a homerun, just one man's opinion.

Anonymous said...

I'm also curious when the Polyvalent will be returning. Barry's suggestion of a disc brake model is probably sound and good for business. All the Rando guys I know are moving to hydraulic disc brakes these days. I, for one, am glad there's still a couple of low-trail rando bikes out there still using cantilevers. I prefer the simplicity and ease of service. I've also always found a properly adjusted cantilever to provide more than enough stopping power for a fully loaded bike. I'm also a smaller guy so that might have something to do with it.

jonathansmith68 said...

Looking forward to what you guys do with the Polyvalent MK4! I think that the chain-slap guard braze-ons would be a fun touch. Kick-stand plate and vertical drop-outs and I'd pretty much be sold!

Barry said...

Could you possibly tell me who is making a low Trail 650 Rando with disc brakes at this time?

Anonymous said...

1 - https://www.crustbikes.com/products/the-romanceur-presale

2 - http://www.elephantbikes.com/stock/

B. John Campbell said...

To echo comments above: could you provide rough estimate for the sale date of the Polyvalent MK4? It would be great! And we could start saving for the day... :)

peddalhead said...

I've got a Polyvalent MK2 which I absolutely love, the cantis do just fine even fully loaded and are way simpler than disc, but I do understand the need to sell what people are asking for. The only change I would recommend for the Poly is vertical drop outs.

Anonymous said...

Be very,very careful installing the rubber lever covers - they can tear very easily.

Kurt said...

The slap guard is cool but can you make something for existing bikes. Stainless or aluminum with adhesive back would be best.